The Meaning of Ikigai: Finding Your Purpose in Life
What is the meaning of ikigai? This is a question that many people are asking these days. Ikigai is a Japanese concept that can be roughly translated to mean "purpose in life" or "reason for being." It is often described as the intersection of what you love, what you are good at, what the world needs, and what you can be paid for. This may seem like a difficult thing to find, but it is actually something that we all have inside us. In this blog post, we will discuss the ikigai concept in more detail and help you find your own purpose in life!
What is ikigai and what are its benefits?
The idea of ikigai (pronounced ee-key-guy) originates from Japan and is built around the belief that everyone has something that they are passionate about, something that they are good at, something that the world needs and that you can be paid for. Once you find what those four things are for you, your ikigai is what wakes you up in the morning wanting to jump out of bed and start the day. It is your personal reason for being. People with a strong sense of ikigai tend to live longer, healthier lives with a greater sense of purpose. Even in retirement, they enjoy life and feel a valuable part of their community. There is also the suggestion that ikigai may help you live longer.
Discovering your ikigai can be a life-changing experience. It can give you a sense of purpose and direction, and provide motivation to pursue your passions. Ikigai can also help you to focus on what is truly important in your life, and to find meaning and satisfaction in your everyday activities. In an increasingly fast-paced and stressful world, ikigai can be a valuable tool for finding balance and enjoyment in life. By taking the time to identify your ikigai, you can create a blueprint for living a joyful and fulfilling life.
How do you find your ikigai in life?
So, how do you find your ikigai? It begins with taking an honest look at yourself and exploring what brings you joy, what you do well, and what the world needs. Don't be afraid to think outside the box - your ikigai could be something unique that only you can offer. The important thing is to keep searching until you find what lights up your life from the inside out. Trust us, it's worth the effort. Having a strong sense of ikigai has been linked with increased levels of happiness, satisfaction, and wellbeing so it is definitely worth the effort to find yours!
Finding your ikigai can be difficult, but it is worth the effort. Here are four steps to help you find your ikigai in life:
- Know what you love. This may seem like an obvious first step, but it is important to take some time to really think about what you are passionate about. What are the things that make you happy? What are the things that you are good at? Once you have a better understanding of what you love, you can start to narrow down your options.
- Know what the world needs. The next step is to think about what the world needs. This can be anything from a new product or service to simply making a difference in your community. Once you have an idea of what the world needs, you can start to look for ways to fill that need.
- Know what you're good at. The third step is to think about what you are good at. This can be anything from a skill or talent that you have, to simply being a good listener. Once you have an idea of what you're good at, start thinking about how you can use those skills to make a difference in the world.
- Find a way to combine steps one, two and three. The third step is to find a way to combine your passions and skills with what the world needs and how you can find a way for this to bring you an income. This is where you will find your ikigai.
What if you can't seem to find your ikigai or don't know what it is yet?
Don't give up if you can't find your ikigai right away. It may take some time and effort, but the rewards are definitely worth it. A life with purpose and meaning is a life worth living!
If you're struggling to find your ikigai or don't know what it is yet, don't worry. There are plenty of ways to discover your ikigai and you may want to consider some of the following questions:
- What are the activities that bring you joy and make you feel alive
- Consider your strengths and passions. What are you good at?
- What do you love doing?
- What makes you feel fulfilled?
- What are the activities that make you feel like you are making a difference in the world?
- What makes you feel excited and motivated?
- What are the activities that make you feel like you are pursuing your dreams?
If you can't seem to find your ikigai, don't worry. There are plenty of ways to discover it. Just keep exploring and eventually, you'll find it.
How can Bach flower remedies help you find your purpose in life?
Many people struggle to find meaning and direction in their lives. Fortunately, there may be a way to find clarity and peace of mind. Bach flower remedies are a type of natural remedy that balance emotions and help promote wellness. By balancing any negative emotions, these remedies can also help to reveal one's true purpose in life. There are 38 different Bach flower remedies, each of which addresses a different emotional state. By taking the time to identify which emotions are out of balance, it may be possible to find greater clarity and purpose in life. With the help of Bach flower remedies, you may just find the guidance and support you need to create a life that feels more authentic and fulfilling. So which Bach flowers can help?
Which Bach flower remedies can help with finding your purpose in life?
Here are a few Bach flower remedies you might want to consider as a starting point:
- You feel unfulfilled, unable to find your path in life
- Ambitious & want to achieve, just not sure what
- Constantly start new things, but none bring happiness
- Frustrated & bored
- Positive potential: find path in life
- You lack confidence in your abilities
- You feel inferior to others & don’t believe in yourself
- You’re convinced of failure so don’t even attempt to try
- Positive potential: confidence in your abilities
- You are apathetic to life and lack enthusiasm
- Resigned to fate, lacking vitality or purpose
- No motivation to take an active interest or bring positive changes to your life
- Positive potential: enthusiasm & vitality
- You’re easily influenced by others & can’t say no
- Weak-willed, can be taken advantage of & can’t stand up for yourself
- Give up your own life to serve others
- Positive potential: to stand up for yourself & be assertive
- You doubt your judgement & seek advice of others
- Need approval of others to validate your decision
- You lack confidence in your judgement, doubt yourself & seek advice
- Positive potential: increased confidence and wisdom
- You’re a daydreamer, fantasising about the future
- Withdrawn into your imagination, not living in the present, lost in thought
- Often drowsy & sleeps a lot
- Positive potential: lively interest in life & master of thoughts
- You’re stuck in the past & dwell on past memories
- Regret for missed chances or wistful about good old days
- Can’t let go - reminisce youth, past love, failed career
- Positive potential: cherish past but live for present
- You are sensitive to change or outside influences
- Adjusting to transitions of life e.g. puberty, retirement…
- Can be led astray from life path or unable to break from past
- Positive potential: to help change & stay true
While these are just a few of the many possible remedies, they provide a good starting point for anyone who is seeking to find their purpose in life. With the help of Bach flowers, it is possible to find direction, peace, and meaning - even in the midst of uncertainty.